Sunday, August 12, 2012

Egg Tart (蛋撻) - 金鳳茶餐廳 (Wan Chai / 灣仔)


Egg Tart (蛋撻)
Egg Tart (蛋撻) - HK$4.5

The Hungry Nobody score - 6/10
Not sure it deserves such legendary status, but it's still not bad (I imagine better hot)

金鳳茶餐廳
G/F 41 Spring Garden Lane, Wan Chai
灣仔春園街41號春園大廈地下
(+852) 2572 0526
Hours: 0600 - 1900

What I did like was that this egg tart was more about the egg and less about the tart.  I'll admit, I prefer egg tarts with flaky puff pastry as opposed to the floury shortcrust ones, but this one was pretty good.  The problem I have with shortcrust ones, is they tend to leave a pasty dryness in your mouth and you wind up not being able to enjoy the egg custard.  No such problems with 金鳳's 蛋撻.  The egg custard was smooth and mildly sweet and paired well with the fairly light and thin pastry shell.  Even though it held up well after cooling down, next time I do try this I'll make sure it's straight out of the oven.

What I didn't like was that other than me wanting to try this one hot rather than lukewarm, not much I'd complain about.

No comments:

Post a Comment